Where People Travel
Link21 will transform Northern California’s passenger rail network into a faster and more connected system.
The Link21 Market Analysis will help determine which areas in Northern California have the greatest potential to meet the Program’s Goals & Objectives. The analysis will span all 21 counties and will be the most detailed and comprehensive travel analysis ever performed for the Northern California Megaregion.
The Market Analysis will look at how people throughout the Megaregion currently travel by both transit and automobile. It will use innovative modeling supported by demographic information and traveler surveys.
Several factors are being considered in the analysis. For example:
- Location of existing rail stations
- Existing population and future trends
- Existing travel patterns by rail, transit, car, and other modes of travel
- Key travel markets, such as major employment centers, residential communities, shopping and entertainment spots, and other hubs
- Potential that travel would be conducted by rail, if rail were convenient and affordable
- Unmet demand for rail service, including future projections
The Market Analysis is focused on making sure that priority populations are served by the rail improvements.
The Link21 Team plans to evaluate the potential long-term impacts of COVID-19 on travel patterns by looking at different assumptions for population, jobs, telecommuting, and travel growth and demand.
By determining which areas will best be served by the integrated rail system, the Link21 projects will offer the highest value to the public.